Childhaven volunteers are essential in helping us achieve our vision of a community where abuse and neglect no longer exist. Classroom volunteers support teaching staff in a pre-school setting that focuses on therapeutic care for abused, neglected and at-risk babies and children.
• Cooperate with Therapeutic Child Care Workers to maintain the scheduled classroom curriculum
• Be a positive role model for the children
• Give children one-on-one attention in a supervised setting
• Participate in the planned classroom activities
• Follow Childhaven policies and procedures
• Perform other related tasks as assigned
• Flexibility, patience and the ability to work with young children
• Be a minimum of 18 years old. Exceptions are made for students who are participating in an ongoing social service/community service program (one semester or more)
• Commit to at least one, two hour time block a week for a minimum period of 6 months (Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 2:00 pm)
• Attend a Volunteer Orientation and complete all of the required paperwork
• Proof of a TB test within the last year
• Register and obtain a STARS Identification number
• Obtain a qualified Portable Background Check. Washington state’s Department of Early Learning will determine if fingerprints are required. Fees for the Portable Background Check and fingerprints will apply and are the responsibility of the volunteer.
TRAINING & SUPERVISION:
• Volunteer orientation
• Supervision in classroom
• Learn about childhood development from a hands-on approach
• Appropriate Social Service/Community Service credit as needed
If you have questions or are interested in becoming a classroom volunteer, identify which branch you would like to volunteer at. A list of all the branches can be found here. Next, click on the links below to e-mail a branch:
• Broadway Branch (Seattle) - All volunteer slots at our Broadway Branch are currently full. Please check back in early October, as there may be openings then.
• Eli Creekmore Memorial Branch (Burien)
• Patrick L. Gogerty Branch (Auburn)
Please allow for up to 5 business for a response as we receive a large volume of volunteer inquiries.